Rising Damp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rising Damp

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Best Episode?

Go down 
+10
Rupert
YARMOUTH
Love Wood
HILTS3188
Spooner
cumpy90
boglemcneep
ColinC
steve sheffield
Rigsby
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 4:27 am

What is your favourite episode of Rising Damp?

My favourites are joint between food for thought and charisma. Both classics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
steve sheffield
Spooner
Spooner
steve sheffield

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 6:23 am

Can't remember the name of the episode but I really like the one where Rigsby tries to woo miss Jones by taking her out in his new sports car. Unfortunately he thinks that he's run over the cat when he returns home, but accidently cremates miss Jones fur scarf! classic
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 6:50 am

love that one too, called 'clunk click'. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ColinC
Maud
Maud
ColinC

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:30 am

Got to be Fawcetts Python and Pink Carnations for me as favourites.
Back to top Go down
steve sheffield
Spooner
Spooner
steve sheffield

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:35 am

Love the bit were Rigsby is wrestling with the python, then alan walks in with the fake one.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:38 am

classic! even if the python is terrible prop dep. mock up with sound effect hissing! Laughing

pink carnations is great, especially joan sandersons role prior to being a deaf battleaxe in 'fawlty'! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ColinC
Maud
Maud
ColinC

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:40 am

Yeah Rigsby throughout Fawcetts how he reacts to the snake Laughing

In the episode Charisma as he waves the burning wood in front of Miss Jones funny as well.

Its one of those shows that i couldnt see any other actor playing Rigsby, if they ever tried a remake it wouldnt be the same.

Im sure a lot of the jokes wouldnt be allowed anyway in this over political state we live in nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 am

thats why i find the older comedies so good (not because their racist) but because it was a time in which anything goes and it was socially acceptable to laugh about each other.

i think you would have mass outrage if you tried to repeat similar jokes on tv today.
Back to top Go down
ColinC
Maud
Maud
ColinC

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 am

Yeah the jokes werent intended (im sure) as blatant racism, but nowadays they would be seen as that , as you say.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

like with many shows (love thy neighbour, ect) im sure they were just scripted to get a laugh. one thing is sure - if they were offensive, you would never have got a black actor to play the parts - simple as that!
Back to top Go down
steve sheffield
Spooner
Spooner
steve sheffield

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

Totally agree fellas. political correctness gone mad nowadays. It's like Philip saying he has 5 wives. Would the pc brigade like that?
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 am

i sincerly doubt it.

thats what annoys me about telly today, no one dares do anything like theses old shows anymore for fears of complaints and censorship and even banning and sackings.
Back to top Go down
steve sheffield
Spooner
Spooner
steve sheffield

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 12:25 pm

What is the episode called where Rigbsy and miss jones go on the blind-date and get mixed up with the other couple also wearing identical rose/carnations? lol!
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:08 pm

pink carnations, series 4 - a classic! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
boglemcneep
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 am

Cluck Click - Miss Jones' face after the car ride - priceless! Under the Influence is glorious as well, the stifled laughing when Miss Jones stated she intends to 'chop them off'.

Grand
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am

brilliant moment in clunk click when rigsby cremates aunt adas fur scarf! Laughing
Back to top Go down
cumpy90
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 5:30 am

Has to be 'Things That Go Bump in the Night' from series 2.

The classic scenes are where Alan dresses up as the 'grey lady' which Rigsby claimed was haunting the house Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 6:26 am

ahh yes, another classic Laughing
especially the scenes when they bump into each other on the stairs!

welcome to the forum cumpy90
Back to top Go down
Spooner
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:45 am

A Perfect Gentleman, followed closely by A Night Out.

Re. the alleged racism in 70s humour, I'd say on the whole Rising Damp works well because Philip is so self-assured. Rigsby's insults get a laugh, but I think they work on two levels, we laugh at his comments but also at his small-minded bigotry. Philip has class and Rigsby doesn't, so his insults are simply peevish.

Personally I found Fletch's occasional comments to McClaren in Porridge to be far less effective, "don't give me that black look" etc. Not particularly offensive, but a little tiresome and cheap by the high standards that Clement & La Frenais set.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 4:07 pm

well said spooner. i always maintain my opinion that if this 'racism' really was offensive then, there would certainly be no black actors willing to play the roles.
Back to top Go down
HILTS3188
Maud
Maud
HILTS3188

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 1:59 pm

out of them all...and they are all classics, like works of art, is PINK CARNATIONS

absolutely hilarious.....when he enters the bar with his gloves to where he falls off the chair,it is peerless

and when joan sanderson says "i have never been so insulted"...the response "you wanna get out more love"

the other 2 phrases that spring to mind "where do you think that is coming from sergeant"..and "what about a waltz then"

and the scene where he has to go without food for a day where he acted trying to rob a sausage and ends with his hand in the water, and then drinks it before alan turns around

i could go on Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Love Wood
Maud
Maud
Love Wood

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 3:15 pm

the point about racism an political correctness is miguided. The joke is on Rigsby's ineptness as a man. He is always the one shown up for his hilarious failings.

it would never be the same otherwise - or as funny.

I am hard pressed to find a favourite episode but the boxing one has to be well up there. When Rigsby comes out sporting those wicked shorts. Just where did the props department get them from? Rigsby's line ''just look where the belt is'' is a classic

also the girl under the bed shouts ''you keep your hands off that bike'' when Rigsby threatens to kick it's spokes in.

i have to watch the dvds again now!
Back to top Go down
YARMOUTH
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: best episode   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 am

Very Happy hi my favourite episode is the one where spooners broken his leg after tripping over the cat and rigsby thinks hes shot him when his ww2 revolver goes off pure genius!!! lol! that and the one where rigsby is trying to frighten allan in thinking there is a ghost grey lady in the house again pure brilliance i never get fed up with these or any episode come to think of it.
Back to top Go down
Rupert
Maud
Maud
Rupert

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:54 pm

A Night Out.

"WHAT ABOUT A WALTZ THEN" Laughing
Back to top Go down
docklanders
Maud
Maud
docklanders

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am

A Body Like Mine by far, watched it for the first time last week and just burst out laughing in the boxing scene! lol! I think Alan really shone in that episode as well.
Back to top Go down
http://theronaldiculousblog.blogspot.com/
crazzycat
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 5:50 am

I like this serial a lot but my fave episode will always be the first one!
---------------
...With love to free glitter graphics...
Back to top Go down
NickSinatra
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Without a doubt it has to be The Permissive Society. I teach English in Spain and I once used that episode in 12 different classes. I got to be Rigsby a dozen times and cried laughing every time I read the script in class.

A classic episode.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Yes, thats another great eppy Nick. Wink
Back to top Go down
casey
Maud
Maud

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 13, 2010 12:31 am

My favourite episodes are :-

A Night Out ... especially the scenes in the Grange! Had this episode on video for years and always loved it.

Things That Go Bump in the Night ... always laugh when Rigbsy meets the Grey Lady

also really like the episodes with Henry McGee and George Sewell

and all the rest.

Classic series Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Best Episode? Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Episode?   The Best Episode? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Best Episode?
Page 1 of 1