Rising Damp
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rising Damp

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Where was it supposed to be set?

Go down 
+2
steve sheffield
Rigsby
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

Where was it supposed to be set? Empty
PostSubject: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 7:15 am

No town is ever mentioned as to where the lodging house or university is.

All we know is that it is set in yorkshire.
Rigsby invests in penine oil!
There is references to the M62
Rigsby's missus lives in pontefract
there is a university in the town
trains to macclesfield go past outside

My guess would be Leeds or sheffield? Maybe Bradford?
Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
steve sheffield
Spooner
Spooner
steve sheffield

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 8:06 am

Really hope it was supposed to be sheffield that would be unbelievable. Sheffield is a big student city, however the m62 and ponty references make me think it's set further north.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 10:14 am

i think it may be leeds, especially with the penine references. alan also says he uses yorkshire traction which was based around west/south yorkshire and barnsley.

yorkshire television was also based in leeds so it would make sense. shame no outside shots were ever filmed for the episodes as that would confirm locations.
Back to top Go down
bluejon
Maud
Maud

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:33 am

I'm sure i read it wasn't supposed to be set in any particular town or city,but was fimed in Leeds

Last edited by bluejon on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 7:07 am

that may be the most probable answer, i guess they woudl change certain characteristics of the area to suit each episode.

It was filmed at YTV in Leeds.
Back to top Go down
Brandy
Maud
Maud

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:59 am

I suspect it may have been set in Kingston Upon Hull (my own home town) as there is a university there and they make reference to the Humber and Yorkshire traction. The regional accent seems extremely authentic too. I could imagine it's my father or brother speaking when I listen to the voices of Rigsby and Alan. Further, you can also travel to Hull on the M62.

Last edited by Brandy on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 10:24 am

i hadnt thought about that possible location - could well be..
Back to top Go down
Spooner
Maud
Maud

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:21 am

I think it's better to leave it vague, any grimy town in the north could have fit the bill. Also I'm pleased that there was no outdoor filming to give more context- the dark claustrophobic atmosphere is crucial IMHO. One of the reasons the film felt wrong. Plus outdoor shots in those days were often done on film, which jarred with the videotape studio footage.
Back to top Go down
NickSinatra
Maud
Maud

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 28, 2009 1:15 pm

It was Leeds. Rigsby mentions the Teutonic arrogance of the Germans (Bayern Munich) when they beat Leeds in the 1975 European Cup Final.
Back to top Go down
Rigsby
Alan Moore
Alan Moore
Rigsby

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 04, 2009 3:41 pm

great observation Smile
makes sense to be leeds, as said above thats where the studio was.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where was it supposed to be set?   Where was it supposed to be set? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where was it supposed to be set?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rising Damp :: Television Series :: Rigsby's Room-
Jump to: